Friday 8 March 2013

Grado Prestige cartridges

Grado have been around for a long time. I remember when I started in Hifi, one of the favoured budget cartidges at the time was the Grado GT Super. Compared to its peers (A&R C77 and the Nagaoka MP11) The Grado was punchy, yet refined too, which at the price was quite remarkable.

Over the years Grado slipped off the radar, I came across them again when I took on Grado headphones a few years ago .... they were on the listing so I added them to the site. They didn't seem to have changed much, the same body design, with Grado's unusual stylus fitting, I must admit I dismissed them as old fashioned and overpriced.

This week though I have had chance to revisit the range ... I have traded in two fairly new Grados. A Prestige Blue and  Prestige Gold ... I always run trade ins for a couple of days to check them out and I must say I was quite bowled over with how good the two models were. The Blue is very natural and open, with a tuneful bass. The Gold was the real star though, very dynamic with a superb extended bass and detailed and refined top end ... I tried a few of my awkward recordings but the Gold never sounded flustered .... and this is a £160 Magnet ... I'm tempted to leave it where it is for a bit


See the range here :

http://www.cheshireaudio.co.uk/acatalog/Grado.html

No comments:

Post a Comment